18.7.07

Four Days Away

I went to some amazing places this weekend. First off, Santa Barbara is a wonderful town! After 8 hours of driving around searching for this camping area that ended up being not only full (they don't take reservations), but snooty AND sucky (don't bother with Jalama Beach, whatever you've heard: The 45 minute drive in beats the actual campground), we drove the 1 hour back to Santa Barbara to find every hotel booked and overpriced. But I was praying for a miracle as fatigue, hunger and frustration were threatening to blow the vacation into smithereens. And lo and behold, we found our haven of rest at the Hope Ranch Inn. And right next door was the best, cheapest Mexican food I've had yet. And the best, strongest, margaritas I've ever had in my life. For 5$!

We wandered around downtown on State street for hours that night, looking in shop windows, reading the menus posted outside of the numerous cafes that line the street, and I kept thinking how much my sisters and parents would love this town, and if they come out to visit, we should all just meet there!

Then, we noticed a light shining down a darkened alley, and it looked like an antiques store. It was 9 o'clock, so I was naturally curious. We crept closer and saw the most magical, wonderful shop with two old ladies running about. It was full of amazing and wonderful treasures. And it was surprisingly organized for containing so much stuff! We were thoroughly enchanted.


The next day, we journeyed up north to our very special secret spot.
There was no running water, outhouses, and complete peace. We went skinny dipping in the ocean because there was no one there to be offended. We saw a group of seals sunning themselves on the rocks, I saw two more dead seals, and one of them was in the process of being enjoyed and devoured by a band of turkey vultures.




We went hiking in ancient sand dunes, we collected rocks and I'm going to make a necklace out of them because they all naturally have holes in them. We further explored the culinary delights of campfire cookin', and although my famous "beer corn" still wins out every time for me, the marinated and flame grilled asparagus came in at a close second. We used the aero bed in the tent, and it was sheer luxury!

This morning, we went into town for hot coffee and breakfast at a garden cafe nestled in the crook of an overgrown nursery. Then, we went to Hearst Castle, and that was a trip and a half, figuratively. My favorite part was the outdoor swimming pool. The sky was so blue and the water as well, and the marble statues so white and smooth, and the view looking down the mountain to the ocean, it was all quite breathtaking.

We got milkshakes on the way home and I have to say that I will treasure this time that I had for a long time to come. I'm feeling grateful.

No comments: