8.8.07

Slash

Last Friday evening, I met Slash.

Many times I've wondered if there is a celebrity that I would like to meet, or ones who I would truly tremble in front of, and it's hard for me to think of one. I generally think that the whole practice of idolizing celebrities is ridiculous.

I went to a party in Hollywood with a friend of mine. I had no idea what to expect, I only knew that there would be an open bar and I didn't have to pay to get in. I almost didn't go. I was sitting at home, all dolled up, but dreading the drive, and the idea of trying to find parking on Sunset Boulevard on a Friday night alone just isn't quite a motivational factor. But my roommate lit the proverbial fire underneath my rear end. "You never go out, and this is an opportunity that won't come up again for a while." I saw the reason, hopped into Jeeves (the tried and true vw jetta), and headed for the 5.

I found parking! I found my friend! We traipsed over to the legendary House of Blues. Caroline informed me that there would be some musicians performing, but she seemed to know more about the athletes that the party was held for than the music. We got our drinks and went outside while we waited for the music to begin. And then, someone joined our group and said "Slash is upstairs and Dave Nevarro doesn't have a shirt on."

All of a sudden, my heart started beating very fast, and I could feel the blood pumping through my body. I knew that this was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. And I quietly slipped away and went upstairs.

And there he was. Slash, someone I have idolized since 7th grade. Someone who's music has truly shaped the way I feel about Rock and Roll. The epitome of irreverent genius. Standing in front of me, having a beer. I waited until there was a crack in the conversation and went up to him. All I can say is that I made the biggest fool out of myself, and I don't care. Everything that I've always considered inappropriate and declasse about fans, the most generic compliments and gushing, I said it all. "You're my rock & roll hero! You're the best guitar player, ever! I can't believe I'm standing in front of you! Appetite For Destruction changed my life!" etc, etc, etc. I will say that he very graciously received my disgusting display, and shook my hand, and asked my name. I told him, said I couldn't wait for him to go on, retreated to the safety of the people I knew, and started screaming.

The show was amazing. It was sort of an all-star cast of Rock & Roll legends playing covers. I was up at the front, dancing and screaming all night. I suppose that my elation was partially due to the fact that I haven't been to a show since last December. That's a long time for someone who is made partially of rock and needs to replenish to survive.

Oh, my band has a name now. We are Fairview. And I can't wait to rock.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hannah I loved your Slash Blog. You rock, I miss you and your are my kick ass sister in law.
Love KevDog

nicolo said...

hi, long time listener first time caller... now you are my epitome of irreverent genius because you touched slash. (we're not worthy x 3)