7.6.07

Les Trois Soeurs

There is a photograph that is right next to my computer.

I have a few of my photographs framed, and they are lined up on the ledge above my mirror-doored closet-wall. These are images of the people that I love, who without, my life would have far less meaning. I would be such a different person.

But the picture by my computer is of me and my sisters.

I try to describe to people who don't know us as "The Wall Sisters" exactly what it means to be a part of this magical trio. But they never get it. To have a relationship this strong is rare, and between siblings, rarer. It is as though we are three in one, and together equal something that transcends earthly matter.

Don't get me wrong, we are earthy. We were raised in the garden, naked in the wild, left to our own devices in the forests and rivers and ocean mud flats of New England. Poor as dirt, deprived, or blessed, by the absence of television and pop culture, we were forced to create our reality, more often than not a living fantasy. And as part of a semi-nomadic family, we were forced to cling to each other.

Don't get me wrong, we didn't always love each other. I won't go into details here, just know that some serious offences occurred between us, and I will continue to apologize for the trauma I willingly inflicted until the day I breathe my last. But let's get back to this photograph.

We are in white. It is the pre-party for a white party, and we are all a little drunk. Em is wearing a white men's undershirt with a hot pink bra peeking out and long white pants with fuscia stilettos. Soe is wearing a black suede skirt that she painted white with a paint-brush except for the word "white" across the bottom and white thigh-high lace stockings with a rock t-shirt tied in a knot. And a blonde bob wig. And I'm in a white Mexican wedding dress and my hair is black with bangs. And we are obviously enjoying ourselves immensely.

I have looked at this photograph hundreds of times. But just now, I noticed something significant that I'd never seen before. If you look closely, you will see that we are all leaning on each other. That twisted in a circular knot we are balanced on each other. In this pose that we struck spontaneously, we would fall if anyone moved. Emmy's arm is braced around my shoulder and leaning above me, while her leg is resting on top of Soe's shoulder. Soe is equally balanced by her arm which is coiled around Emmy's leg down to her foot, and by my leg, which is balanced on her thigh.

Hannah. Emma. Penelope. Each facet of this beautiful and precious jewel so different, catching separate rays of light and refracting it back into the world, and onto the others. We reflect each other, we support each other, we love each other, and as three in one we are stronger than just one.

Not only are my sisters unbelievably drop-dead gorgeous, they are supremely intelligent, and stylish, and thoughtful, and successful. They are true to themselves, they follow their dreams.

It is hard being away from them, but I know and they know that distance doesn't weaken our bond. What we have is supernatural, and only strengthens with time. That's because we nurture it. We value it, we respect it and feed it.

Mostly with wine and dessert.

No comments: